RE: Virtual Buffer Refresh

The problem exists in JAWS and IE at this time.  We have tested the specifics with NVDA and Windows-Eyes and both do not exhibit the same behavior as JAWS.  Both IE8 and IE9 exhibit the problem, we have not tested with IE10.  We have tested with Firefox and JAWS and that seems to work well.

The problem is not the code, that we can tell.  We have gone back to a baseline code base and the problem still exists where we know it had not been before we started this accessibility project.  And no, we cannot share the code as this is a complicated banking application with connections to AS400's.  Opening a web site would also not be possible.  Anyway, we do not think the problem is in the code when you can force a refresh of the virtual buffer through the keyboard and everything is back to normal.

-----Original Message-----
From: Léonie Watson [mailto:tink@tink.co.uk]
Sent: Thursday, April 25, 2013 11:15 AM
To: Greg Davies; 'Jonathan Avila'; 'Bryan Garaventa'; w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
Subject: RE: Virtual Buffer Refresh

Greg Davies wrote:
"Focus is set with the Tab key.  The screen reader reads the contents of the control correctly, it just announces the control incorrectly.  It announces every control as a combobox regardless if it is actually an inputbox or anything else."

Is this happening in all screen readers that utilise a virtual buffer and/or all versions of that screen reader? Do other screen readers behave as expected when the DOM updates?

Sorry for all the questions, but one last one - can you share the code and/or make an example page available to test?

Léonie.