Re: Rethinking the necessities of ARIA landmark role "main" and HTML5 <main> element

>I think part of the problem with the "mark up the main section" idea is
>that there's typically not only one piece of interesting content. For
>example, look at the front page of cnn.com. What one piece of content
>would you mark up as "main"?

I would mark up the <div id="cnn_maintopt1">  as <main>

I don't see any particular issue with marking up the main content area of
that page or the navigation areas and contentinfo/banner/complementary
areas.

>  there's typically not only one piece of interesting content.

home pages of new sites are usually a little different to other pages as
they tend to include summaries and links to current news items, this is in
no way typical but it in no way precludes  content being marked up using
main. landmarks demarcate the big chunks of the page users can easily
navigate and drill down into the sub chunks via heading and list
navigation.and when supported and used via article (for example)

>How would the user navigate the rest of the
>page, once they've read that bit?

they would navigate by moving through the landmarks and then drilling down

--

Regards

SteveF