  From: Harry Loots
  To: Bryan Garaventa
  Sent: Monday, December 17, 2012 4:01 AM
  Subject: Re: is javascript considered good wacg 2.0 practice?

  On 14 December 2012 20:27, Bryan Garaventa <bryan.garaventa@whatsock.com> wrote:

    In earlier threads, I've also seen that asking for help is humiliating. Granted it's annoying, but this is something I've had to do on many occasions throughout my life, and it happens to everyone, not just blind people. Pride itself is not a disabling condition, and no amount of programming will fix it.

  Bryan
  I was asked to evaluate a solution a few years ago (4-5 years), used by several blind, and low-vision users. It was an online salary slip. It was so badly developed that the group of blind users had to ask colleagues to read out to them what salary/deductions etc they could expect.

  They did not want their colleagues to know how much or how little they were earning. They did not want their colleagues to know how much they were being subsidised for bus and/or other enablers to get to be able to come to work. This, in their opinion, was demeaning.

  Kind regards, Harry