(unknown charset) Re: is javascript considered good wacg 2.0 practice?

I agree with harry, and so far so do our regulators.
   The bottom line is this.
Until as a body we recognize that every human, every child born of woman
in their unique way experiences a disability which does not warrant
stereotypes, and does not some how set them outside of the right for
equitably treatment, we will absolutely need that treatment.   The stair
lifts is a fine example.  The more   governments and other services that
are needful shift their services on line, the more there must be a basic
door, just as there is a basic door to their buildings.  The lifestyle
choices and individual disability experiences are just too different to
expecting a uniform fashion  for anyone to be responsible for building
their own door, end of story.
No one is forcing you to go to their site?  Are you kidding me?
ahem, no one is forcing you to use the washroom in our building, so if you
cannot tough luck.  No one is forcing you to work here, so if you get hit
on with your sexual integrity violated tough luck.  No one is forcing you
to live outside of the institutions we place people like you in, so if you
cannot find fair housing because of your religion or gender or skin, or
score on an eye chart tough luck.
Is that what you are defending with our suggestion that it is the users job
to break down the site door on  their own?
The more pervasive public services become on the Internet, the more
critical some basic access becomes...which helps everyone, not just those
using adaptive tools.

  Access to a sites services is not the same as say a phone plan, I
should not be forced to change services because a company refuses to give me an  objective bill...but
expects me to pay them as they make up the charges.  Part of the case
here.
If the a company wants to showcase its accessibility options via that site,
then they should work, none of this "hey  we know we are discriminating,
but we do not care because the WACG says we can." sort of talk.
I have brought this up before, because many  government entities take the
WACG and turn it into law, the W3C should also draft something  that gives
guidance on the human side of implementing your standards.  The more you
shift requirements to end users, who are not uniform regardless of a
shared label, the more you unintentionally foster an environment for discrimination.

"dah disabled people use computers? have money to buy services? etc. etc."

Therefore suggesting that developers and companies creating  sites rooted
in the WACG also do external investigations of the populations served,
and I mean the population, not talking just to disability groups, or
finding a single blind person, helps
everyone, you the developers and those using the site.     Learning
what technology they  are actually using, the ease of getting that
technology, lets them developer not from a fake hypothetical  end user, but a
real person making real use of their real services and real site.

  thereby increasing the likelihoods that what they create for public
services gets used equally.  Someone in Canada successfully told the
government here that assuming she had a human to navigate their site s for her to get a job was not
allowed...and that was exactly  the practice.  Let someone Else do the
site stuff for you.    Assuming that a person can
make use of whatever tool is on the planet to work around a lazy site
developer is not allowed either.
No one is forcing you indeed.  But you will *force* someone to be your
idea of *modern?
Ever try to vote overseas?  If all you can do to exercise your
constitutional right is go to a site and someone is not insuring that you
can do so equitably because you have a disability, where are you going to
go, how Are you going to feel and what are you going to think?
Harry is correct, the "no one is forcing you" argument stops and ends at
the door of someone keeping a private site for their  private use.  But
if you are talking about a phone company or even an Internet provider, if your
are talking about voting filing your taxes or paying your power bill, that
website must be as equal for everyone as technically possible end of
story.
We owe every human who has ever been told that their body  is so flawed
that they cannot belong that much.
Karen