Re: Graphs and Alt Text

On 16/11/2012 20:47, Daman Wandke wrote:
> I am trying to figure out the best way to write alt text for line
> graphs.  I am wondering what techniques others have used.  Graphs are
> used to represent data quickly, but they also contain a lot of data.
> How do I balance the amount of information?  I also have to find a
> technique that content editors can implement easily.  The only technique
> I can think of is to include an accessible data table with the data.
> Looking forward to any input or suggestions.

The traditional answer would indeed be to at least include the raw data
in a correctly (with the right headers etc) marked up table. It would
also be useful (for all users, including those that can see the graph
itself) if there was a summary of what the graph was trying to
illustrate, I'd say. A la "With the exception of Q1 2012, sales in the
past year have been on a steady rise, closing at a total of $5bn, more
than double the previous year's closing figure of $2.3bn" ... or something.

Patrick H. Lauke