RE: keyboard accessible video player

Hi Roger

This one is a work in progress:

http://webski.x10.mx/yt/

It uses hidden HTML controls to supply keyboard and screen reader access and an ARIA-live region to supply state information ("Playing", "Paused", "Muted" etc.) for screen reader users.

The embedded YouTube player does not provide scripted access to all functions (for example you can't specify caption colour) therefore the standard controls have been kept for the benefit of mouse users (and keyboard users in IE). The alternative controls only become visible on keyboard focus.

The alternative controls also offer some 'extras' e.g. press "F" for frame-by-frame movement and an editable time field where you can type a time and press Enter to move the timeline.

The embedded YouTube player does not provide full scripted access to captions. If a user has turned captions on in the standard player then they cannot be turned off using scripting, so caption control buttons in the alternative controls depend  on which setting the user has via the standard controls.

Feedback is welcome :)

Cheers
Pierre

Pierre Frederiksen