Re: Color contrast of text on variable color background

I believe this is another example of a requirement for the browser with or
without the Assistive Technology (AT), not the web content
author/developer responsibility alone.

Some users want and need the "transparency" background common on many web
sits today - not the assumed "opaque" background that was in place back in
2008 when WCAG 2.0 was finalized.  Same UI technique (and issue or
benefit) is used in television programming guides where you still see the
TV show in the background via slightly transparent text on top.  Some love
it, some hate it, others find it critically beneficial while others see it
as an absolute barrier.  One size (contrast ratio) does not fit all here.
The browser should have a user setting to make the transparency more (or
less) transparent per the user's preference and needs, not some "majority
rules" ratio.  Visual usability improving cognition is conflicting with
vision impairment needs.

Of course this would NOT apply to authored content where the text is
placed over an image at authoring time and saved as an image - this one
size fits all approach is still under control of the author, not the
browser.  Again, I'm referring to the translucent so called "pop-ups" in
the newer web 2.0 stile websites that use JavaScript and CSS.  Measuring
contrast ratios here does not make sense to me when the browser is (or
should be) controlling the rendering, not the author/developer.

Regards,
Phill Jenkins,
IBM Research - Human Ability & Accessibility Center
http://www.ibm.com/able

http://www.facebook.com/IBMAccessibility

http://twitter.com/IBMAccess

http://www.linkedin.com/in/philljenkins