Re: Limit on the links in a page

On 11/08/2012 16:35, Chaals McCathieNevile wrote:
> On Sat, 11 Aug 2012 07:21:58 +0200, Adam Cooper <cooperad@bigpond.com>
> wrote:
[...]

>> and one wonders, with that many links, whether link purpose might
>> become an issue ... meaning links with the same screen text
>> pointing to different destinations or links with different screen
>> text pointing to the same destination.
>
> Yeah, that is an issue with a dozen links too. But often (apart from the
> dreaded "click here" that it seems some sites just can't get out of
> their system) that isn't an issue in practice.

Additionally, unless I'm misreading it, the requirement for links has
been made a tad more realistic, compared to WCAG 1.0

"2.4.4 Link Purpose (In Context): The purpose of each link can be
determined from the link text alone or from the link text together with
its programmatically determined link context, except where the purpose
of the link would be ambiguous to users in general. (Level A)"

Note the "in context" part - i.e. the link text doesn't have to be so
uniquely crafted that it would make sense completely out of context, on
its own (though that does arguably make it more difficult for those
situations where users want to go purely via a link list dialog).

Patrick H. Lauke