Re: When is a keyboard trap a keyboard trap

On Fri, 10 Aug 2012 12:31:11 +0200, Vivienne CONWAY <v.conway@ecu.edu.au>
wrote:

> Thanks for that Harry
>
> I'll be interested in what the others say also.  I'm also wondering how
> you advise the user that a new window has been opened (or will be
> opened) and how they can tab (or if they can tab) to the control you
> provide.  Do you provide instructions on how to close the pop-up?

The case of a new tab opening in the browser is something I believe
browsers handle reasonably well, and users generally figure out what is
going on.

Most of the Web ago Opera implemented pop-up suppression, to the delight
of users, and it was widely adopted in browsers. Authors responded with
"lightboxes" - an effect within the page equivalent to opening a new
window/tab which normal popup blocking can't trap.

So making sure those don't have accessibility issues is the responsibility
of the author.

And here I suspect I disagree with Harry. In particular you should *not*
use javascript to detect "standard keys fopr closing popups". Apart from
still being unreliable, it makes a lot of assumptions about how the user
has set up their system - assumptions that run a *very* high risk of being
seriously wrong for some proportion of systems. As a general principle
while it often seems like a good idea to help users by providing them with
a consistent interface to your app, this only works if they use your app's
interface more than their browser's. And this is unlikely to happen.

Adding an accesskey would be a great idea - although implementations are
still bad, they are no longer destructive for the most part. Having a
tabindex setup that matches what you have done to the user is also
helpful. And naturally, you should have a button/link to close the 'popup'
- preferably easy to understand and based on conventional design and
terminology.

cheers

Chaals

--