RE: Canvas and ARIA alternatives

Hi Steve

I totally understand and take your point that:

It should be understood that the W3C cannot dictate what technologies are
used, but can ensure technologies developed as W3C standards inlcude the
features required for accessibility...

The problem is that there is always a lag between the introduction of a
particular technology by user agents and the inclusion of the technology
into W3C standards and the accompanying support for accessibility. There's
nothing that we can do about this and I actually don't think anything needs
or should be done about it even if it were possible.

But I do feel that maybe we could look at how such technologies are
considered by applicable guidelines in the interim in order to influence
their use / adoption from an accessibility perspective.

I'm not saying that this is an easy problem to solve by the way or that
there is a solution to the problem at all. But if we can't establish a new
approach to address this issue we are going to continually be chasing our
tail.

And as you also say, whether developers make use of these features or
techniques is another matter. But

Cheers
Ian

  _____