RE: Canvas and ARIA alternatives

Thanks Ramón, particularly for the examples. From the original message in
this thread I got the impression that the canvas element was being used for
more "mundane" user input and the canvas used to just add aesthetic fluff
rather than essential functionality.

That said, I would still make the following points:

1. I'm not sure why you feel that I am "assuming that every user input can
be achieved with a "simple" user interface" using selects and radio buttons
or any of the other standard elements. I also totally understand that the
model for user interaction is changing and will continue to change requiring
new widgets / techniques. I would just like to see accessibility moved up
the priority list as I'm sure so would everyone else.

2. What's happened to SVG? As far as I am aware, canvas was primarily
introduced into HTML5 as a more performant graphics rendering surface and so
can understand why this is important in terms of video games, but SVG would
seem to offer an obvious, more accessible alternative in a couple of the
examples you give.

3. While I have used the canvas element for rendering graphics previously, I
certainly would not consider myself to be an expert on using it and it's
modes of interaction. However, is it not possible to simply provide
accessible elements to manipulate / interact with the canvas? This may be a
slightly naive question but it would be helpful if I could better understand
the issue.

4. I think we all agree that innovation will happen whatever we do. I just
feel that the web, in contrast to proprietary technology, has a
responsibility to us all to try and limit exclusion where ever possible. And
given our limited resources, I feel we have a better chance of improving
accessibility for more people by focusing primarily on the most common
use-case scenarios. Yes we certainly need to be involved in the development
of new technology to incorporate accessibility from the ground up, and if
that's happening great. But it doesn't feel like accessibility is as high up
the priority stack as I personally feel it should be given the inclusive
vision.

That's not to criticise those who are involved in this work by the way. Just
that in the real world in which most of us exist, we rarely get to see the
good work happening behind the seens. Maybe this kind of discussion will
help raise awareness.

And I'm certainly not trying to "stop the inevitable". I just feel that
specifically in the case of the web and standards through W3C, we should be
starting with the question, how do we provide new functionality in an
accessible way, rather than let's include new technology and then try and
make it accessible.

Cheers