Re: Document outline and the wrapper of the main content

On Wed, Aug 1, 2012 at 8:14 PM, Ramón Corominas
<listas@ramoncorominas.com>wrote:

> Indeed, it is correct. Why should the MAIN content be under the "branding"?
>
> Moreover, screen reader users would expect level-1 headings to mark the
> most important contents of the document, which in my opinion can be the
> "branding & navigation" section (understood as "the interface") and the
> "main article" (understood as "the specific piece of information this
> document represents"). And thus, the "complementary content" is dependant
> of -probably- the main content, that is, it supplements the main
> information. According to WebAIM's survey, screen reader users have also
> considered that the "two-h1" structure is better than a single-h1 one.
>
> However, I have not seen that debate of "div instead of article", and in
> fact I think it is wrong to use <div>, although not because of the
> sectioning levels, but because "article" can better represent the
> "individual piece of information", which can then be re-used in other parts
> of the website or other documents. Thus, for me the real problem is that
> using <article> the main heading would be always of level-2, which would
> not convey (in my opinion) its importance.
>
> Regards,
> Ramón.

Hi Ramón,

The company, or the branding, is the parent of everything. Everything is
derived from it. Therefore nothing can be at the same level as it and the
main content should be under it. (in my opinion)

There can be only one most important thing in a page (imo), and that would
be the company, or the branding. While "two-h1" may be considered better by
some screen reader users, that's not hierarchically correct. (imo)

The example of HTML5
spec<http://dev.w3.org/html5/spec/single-page.html#the-nav-element>uses
if a wrapper is a must, too. I have seen some other discussions on the
internet but can't find them right now.

Sincerely,
Ian Yang