Re: WCAG 2.0 and JAWS

> From: Karen Lewellen <klewellen@shellworld.net>

> What I mean by this is that there is no, or not that I have ever noticed
> major effort to educate the general public, those who may be small
> business owners learning about wcag 2.0 for the first time, those iin
> political arena who are being told that this is the standard they are
> to follow, even the end user who thinks because it is what they are told,
> that it is the screen reader's job to fix the website....in fact those who
> are supposed to create an open door say as much.

Who are you blaming here. "The W3C"? It is all of our shared
responsibility to educate the general public. Do you feel that small
businesses in your area know nothing about accessibility? Well, go on
and educate them. Start local groups with your peers.

"Those in political arena are being told" by whom? Are you suggesting
"The W3C" is going out to politicians telling them about WCAG? Well,
that's not the case.

> There is even a tool marketed called essential accessibility that
> represents itself as the only thing you need for anyone regardless of
> disability experience to use your site...no site design creation with
> access in mind required.
> I need not share that the tool fails at this.  But those choosing to add
> it work from the idea that they are insuring an open door so never check
> again.  after all every disabled person lives the same right?...i. am.
> not. kidding.

So, there's "a tool" that fails? Are you suggesting "The W3C" should go
out after the tool maker? Again, it is our shared responsibility to call
out tool manufacturers and charlatans in our industry that promise
solutions that don't deliver.

> This frankly is due to little effort on anyone uniform part to bridge
> the gap information wise.
> Mind if I ask why this is?

Because you seem to think there's a uniform group at work here ("The
W3C"?). There isn't. We're all people who are interested in
accessibility. Do you feel there's little effort? Start an effort! Don't
just sit back and ask why nobody's doing anything about it ;)

Patrick H. Lauke