Re: Mobile phone accessibility guidelines

On Fri, 06 Jul 2012 09:33:28 +0200, Ginger Claassen
<ginger.claassen@gmx.de> wrote:

> I am currently looking for some guidelines / regulations / guiding
> documents for accessibility with respect to mobile phones. Does
> anyone here could send me some links or ideas where to look?

Hi Ginger,

actually I don't think this is off topic - although some bits of it aren't
directly related to the web a lot is. A couple of things I would start
with:

21st Century Communications and Video Accessibility Act 2010
http://www.fcc.gov/guides/21st-century-communications-and-video-accessibility-act-2010
This requires, for example, any web browser shipped on a mobile phone in
the US after late 2013 to meet some real accessibility requirements.
(There are also things in the act about TV, which are off *your* topic -
although again relevant to the web).

I would also read the Fuss Free Phones Blog (Hey Simon, write more!).
http://www.fussfreephones.com/feed/
Although it doesn't get a lot of updates these days, I find it a very
sensible and useful blog about things that really matter in accessibility
of phones. The target market is essentially elderly users, so it doesn't
cover every possible aspect, but given that as we get older we can start
down the path of many different disabilities it is still an excellent
general introduction in a very practical sense.

The Mobile Manufacturers Forum has a simple site that provides a handful
of useful pointers in a number of different languages
http://www.mobileaccessibility.info/speech.cfm?lang=eng

And most operators and manufacturers publish accessibility information - I
haven't looked at them all, but presumably they almost all tell you how
much they do for accessibility. If someone finds one that says how little
they do, and how much more could be done, I'd love to know because it is
probably the best resource of the lot :) See, for example
http://www.yandex.com/yandsearch?text=mobile+phone+accessibility&tld=com&lr=87

cheers

Chaals

--