RE: title attributes on links

Regarding the title attribute.  I've seen some content creation tools use
the title attribute on the canvas element to provide labels in addition to
use of ARIA roles on the element.  In my opinion this is not the correct
use of the title attribute.

The HTML 5 Working Draft text on the title attribute for elements that
don't have special semantics for the title indicates:

The title attribute represents advisory information for the element, such
as would be appropriate for a tooltip. On a link, this could be the title
or a description of the target resource; on an image, it could be the image
credit or a description of the image; on a paragraph, it could be a
footnote or commentary on the text; on a citation, it could be further
information about the source; and so forth. The value is text.

While I agree that the title should only be used for advisory information
(not required information) – the examples cited above would appear to be
information that may not be duplicative and while advisory to the content
in context – information that users with disabilities have a right to
access and may be required for understanding of the document.  For example,
a footnote may be advisory to one reader but required for another reader to
understand the content.  Personally I would feel more comfortable that this
advisory information needed to be available in some other manner other than
the title attribute.   Later the same section goes on to indicate that user
agents are “encouraged” to expose title information via the keyboard but
aren’t required to.

Jonathan