  From: James Nurthen
  To: Bryan Garaventa
  Cc: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
  Sent: Wednesday, May 30, 2012 10:45 AM
  Subject: Re: Fw: [NVDA] #2390: NVDA doesn't handle role=dialog with supporting ARIA attributes according to spec

  Bryan,
  This isn't correct. Putting role="presentation" on a DIV does absolutely nothing. The presentation role only modifies the native semantics of the element itself, not the element's children (unless the element has child elements which are only valid in context of the parent such as a grid or list). DIV has no native semantics so there is nothing to change. Any text children of an element with presentation role are also still present in the accessibility tree.

  I'm not sure why you are trying to prevent the list from being included in the accessibility tree - but if this is really what you want to do then you can either use display:none to hide it from everyone or aria-hidden="true" which would only hide it when accessing through the accessibility APIs.

  Regards,
  James