Re: Using Heading to Replace Skip Links

On Wed, May 9, 2012 at 10:29 AM, Patrick H. Lauke
<redux@splintered.co.uk> wrote:
> On 09/05/2012 02:08, Kazuhito Kidachi wrote:
> On the other hand, users that DO rely on keyboard-only navigation should
> also be using tools that make it easier for them to do so.

This sounds like usability issue, rather than accessibility issue. I
know that there's overlap between accessibility and usability, and SC
2.4.1 seems close to usability to me. That's another reason why I feel
level AA is more suitable for the SC.

> I believe the important part is that it's technically/programmatically
> possible for users to navigate the structure of a page in a sensible and
> easy manner. Not all browsers/tools/AT will be able to, but as long as
> there's at least one tool that does support sensible navigation in this
> fashion, I'd argue that the SC is satisfied. IMHO of course.

Well, do you think web pages with proper headings/landmarks can comply
with 2.4.1, without providing skip links, because keyboard-only users
can choose Opera browser (or, Firefox with Heading Navigation
Greasemonkey User Script)?

Regards,

Kazuhito
--