Re: placeholder text in input controls

Oh John - you do love a good debate, so.....

UK VI User Statistics:
48% Windows XP
23% IE6
67% of VI people of working age are unemployed

With welfare to work reforms over the past 40 years having no impact on the percentage of VI people of working age in the UK in employment, "cost" of entry is about so many more factors than the quality or price of any assistive technology.

Access to mainstream hardware, software and ICT training is very limited and even if these were readily available, mobility as well as social confidence are major factors. In addition to this, the knowledge and skills amomgst those providing support to VI people is focussed on the major AT vendors, and there is no formal tuition available for any of the free or low cost screen readers, even for those in education or employment.

I have been lobbying Government to embrace NVDA, VoiceOver, which I use, and Orca, for starters, as well as other great free and low cost AT in their employment programs. I am also lobbying for Government to provide access to AT & training for those not in employment or education, and for this to be means tested for those not seeking employment and as part of the wider welfare to work programs for those who are.

As it stands  the barriers to accessing great tech like NVDA are way too high for most, so although nascent technologies like HTML5 and WAI-ARIA are the way forward, I cannot advocat leaving people who are digitally disadvantaged behind when providing well supported HTML attributes, such as labels associated with form fields, provide tbe building blocks for anyone to access.

Best,

Sandi

Sent from my iPad

Sandi Wassmer
Copious Ltd / digital agency
t: 020 8446 3806
m: 07808 887 201
e: sandi@copious.co.uk
w: www.copious.co.uk

Read Sandi's Action for Blind People Blog:
www.actionforblindpeople.org.uk/your-community/blogs/sandi-wassmer/

Follow Sandi on Twitter:
www.twitter.com/SandiWassmer

Follow Copious on Twitter:
www.twitter.com/copious

Company Registration number: 4213718
VAT Registration Number 774 4416 14

If you receive this e-mail in error please notify the sender by replying using the words Misdirected E-mail in the subject, and then delete the message and any attachments from your system.