Re: Example of accessible CAPTCHAS that work well

On 17/11/2011 16:12, Ginger Claassen wrote:
> Regarding accessible CAPTCHAS I found a very few so far where one has to
> solve a very simple mathmatical question e.g. How much is 3 + 4?
> In my opinion that is quite accessible or do I oversee something here?

Could it pose problems for users with cognitive disabilities? And
generally just weird out users ("why is this website asking me this?")
and require lengthy explanation? My mum would be left wondering, anyway...

On 17/11/2011 16:27, accessys@smart.net wrote:

 > yes one and only one web site I have visited uses a similar system. it
 > asks if fire is 1 hot or 2 cold very simple question but it works so
 > seamlessly that I had forgotten about it when I posted.

Ditto for cognitive disabilities. Also, depending on the question, they
may have a cultural or language bias that make it impossible for certain
users to know/answer. "What's the name of the character played by Kyley
Minogue when she was still acting in Neighbours?", "Is a tomato a fruit
or a vegetable", etc

And, as a general rule: CAPTCHAs and similar only really stop the casual
spammers. Once a site becomes valuable, no system is safe (there are
entire dark industries where they mechanical-turk problems like this, or
simply create porn sites and use a CAPTCHA from another site for
visitors to type in before getting to see the pics/movies...getting
those visitors to basically solve CAPTCHAs from other sites for them).

But I digress...

Patrick H. Lauke