Re: Success criteria 1.4.4

First --
I only occasionally see posts to this list as it is one of 15 or 20 or so that I receive and keep a copy of in case people later ask me about something.  But please do not think me rude if I do not reply to emails posted to the list.   I probably did not see it.

Second -- To get things looked at by the Working Group...
  If you see things in the understanding documents or techniques that you think are ambiguous or in error - please post them to the public comments list - where they can be reviewed by the working group and fixed if appropriate.

Now to this post - since I happened to see it:

The use of absolute units is not necessarily result in a failure.   First - some browsers will scale even if absolute units are used.   So it would depend on the design of the page.    Also, if the page is in two columns (or more) one can Zoom 200% and still not require horizontal scroll to read successive lines of text so it would meet both 1.4.4 and option 5 of 1.4.8.    Most all  (all?) browsers now support zoom so it is pretty hard to fail 1.4.4 today.

The PREFERRED way is to have fonts enlarge and re-flow in a logical fashion that preserves all semantics and ease of use -  so there is no need to horizontally scroll for any reason.

Gregg
Gregg Vanderheiden Ph.D.
Director Trace R&D Center
and Biomedical Engineering