Re: Exclusion of Visual Readers with Low Vision form WCAG 2.0 and the 508 Revise

Hi Jonathon,

you wrote:

> A big area that I think is currently lacking is coordination between
user
> agents and ARIA HTML 5.  For example,  indication of programmatic focus
> including location for the aria-activedescendant attribute.  User agents
> need to render that that element as the active element with programmatic
> focus and exposure of location coordinates of that element to assist
> proper tracking for screen magnification software.  In my opinion this
> needs to be mapped into MSAA for Windows and whatever other
accessibility
> APIs exist for the given platform.  Perhaps this is something that can
> be addressed in UAAG 2.0.

the WAI-ARIA 1.0 User Agent Implementation Guide [1] does just this, in
particular refer to Supporting Keyboard Navigation [2]

There is also a HTML to Platform Accessibility APIs Implementation Guide in
development although this is in an earlier stage of development thatn the
ARIA guide.
The W3C HTML accessibility taskforce [4] is working hard on a range of
issues to do with accessibility in HTML5 including the exposing of location
information in  HTML5 canvas [5], specifically to provide support for screen
magnifiers, but we have been getting pushback from certain browsers vendors
and people influential in the development of HTML5.

[1] http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/aria-implementation/
[2] http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/aria-implementation/#keyboard-focus
[3] http://dev.w3.org/html5/html-api-map/overview.html
[4] http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/html-task-force