Re: heading elements (h#) in tables?

In large complex data tables, h<n> tag may help navigation. Screen
reader users may navigate to various segments of the table and then
use regular table navigation to read through details. Header-id markup
cannot be avoided when colspan / rowspan is used to associate data
cells with header cells. The h<n> tag may help one comprehend the
overall table structure. Again the h<n> numbering cannot and must not
be used for column headers  or to group columns. It may be useful for
grouping data rows.
A well written table summary attribute will also help. Sometimes major
sections within the table may also be numbered like:
"I. Operating Expenses"
"II. Administrative and Selling Expenses"
Such numbering helps everyone.
Sailesh Panchang
Deque Systems