Re: Success criteria 1.4.4

On 2011/08/20 09:17 (GMT-0700) Cliff Tyllick composed:

> Thierry made a simple statement ”that zooming leads to problems with
> horizontal scrolling” and he got a barrage in response.

The fact that he repeated an apparently ignored statement from the day before
lead me to believe he was interested in some discussion of the topic. So was
I, so I seeded it.

>  Rather than
> simply add information to the discussion, your questions imply that
> Thierry doesn't know much.

Thierry has probably been here (and other web issues mailing lists) longer
than I, and I know he knows plenty. I'm sure he knows I meant no such
implication, and if I'm wrong about that, I'm sorry.

OTOH, based on the content of http://www.tjkdesign.com/misc/about.asp I'm
also of the opinion that if there is an area where he falls short in
knowledge, it would be personal experience as an old fart with typical old
fart visual issues, or working with or for such people.

> For just one example, let me address your second question. Right now, I'm
> working on my laptop. Yes, I have a widescreen display. But sometimes I
> take advantage of that wide screen by having two windows open side by
> side. I'm comparing A to B, or I'm viewing a Web page while having a

My "side by side" comparisons of pages are generally over/under so as to better
judge average real world usage (horizontal scroll avoided; vertical scroll near
normal). :-)

> conversation in IRC or on Skype. So instead of an 8:5 display, I
> effectively have a 4:5 display in each window. And, yes, when I work like
> that, I have to do horizontal scrolling on many Web pages.

You've made a personal choice to limit the width of your browser window. You
can't seriously expect designers to limit widths of their designs so as to
prevent horizontal scroll for users who do that, particularly while at the
same time zooming, do you? O_O

Your scenario is just another reason for not fixing content widths,
particularly not using px, and allowing the browsers to do their jobs fitting
content to available space, another accessibility win by limiting visitors'
need to compensate for designers' failures to test a wide variety of
scenarios. Users can normally and easily narrow content that's too wide by
narrowing the window. The converse is normally untrue.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/