RE: Web Accessibility Evaluation and Testing

Thanks all for the very constructive feedback.

I do appreciate that many factors, including AT, OS, device, environment,
browser, experience, etc, as well as conformance to any standards,  all
affect how easy someone finds it to use a particular  site. But my point is
more about the approach that I feel web designers and developers are now
tending to adopt in order to improve the accessibility of a site. That is, I
feel that they are looking at conformance to the various standards  rather
than taking a step back and asking themselves how they can make the site as
easy to use for people with disabilities and using the standards and
guidelines to help them achieve this goal.

To give an example, consider a blog or web forum. I am registered blind
myself ,  and use the NVDA screen reader to access web content on the whole,
although I can still see enough to use a computer with very strong glasses
and / or screen magnification and a high contrast colour scheme. I haven't
ever had too many problems reading blogs or online forums but know that it
takes me much longer to read through posts than it would a sighted person. I
have to continually arrow down through what is to me superfluous information
such as the person's alias, date, avatar image, links to social networking
or bookmark sites, ratings, number of postsetc in order to read what is
often a one word or line answer such as I agree. And so have to go through
the same process again to get to a hopefully more helpful comment.

I don't want to get into a debate about whether all of this information is
important or helpful as I'm sure it is but a sighted person can easily pick
out the comment from amongst all of the other noise and then use the noise
when they want to.

Some blogs or forums are better than others and I suspect some screen
readers may behave differently when confronted with such content, but for
the most part, these sort of sites are far more awkward, cumbersom,
difficult to use for me than for sighted people.

I know that there are many ways to resolve this issue using techniques in
WCAG and ARIA has the role="article" attribute which once implemented  by
browsers/AT may help to address this particular issue, but my point is that
many of these sites will conform to WCAG1.0/2.0 to some level, and yet are
still not particularly easy to use for somebody using a screen reader.
However, if web designers and developers of these type of platforms were
aware of the issues people like me have when using the web and focussed on
thinking how they could address these issues while maintaining the usability
and convenience their sighted users experience, and using the standards and
guidelines to this end, I believe they could create more "accessible" sites.

This is obviously related to whether sites consider accessibility from the
outset or try to bolt it on retrospectively and know that much of what I am
saying is covered by the various guidelines and standards. But I don't feel
this particular message is being communicated as well as it could be.

I genuinely feel that it would be helpful if designers / developers try to
take a step back to look at what they are trying to do, who the users are
and how best to meat all of their needs and used the standards and
guidelines to this end, rather than using them to simply ensure that the
content is conformant, and hence satisfies any legal obligation.

As I said previously though, how this could be achieved is another matter.
You hope that testing would highlight the kind of issues I'm thinking about
but by that time, it may be too far down the line to do much about it. More
examples of good practice in common usage scenarios would obviously be
helpful and perhaps encouragement to read through the guidelines in their
entirety to help designers get a better feel for the issues might also
improve understanding.

But  in the main, unless the developers or designers have a lot of
experience in this area, it is just not easy. In fact, maybe even simply
stating that to ensure your site is accessible is not easy would also help.

Cheers
Ian

P.S. I am obviously aware that web accessibility affects many more groups of
people than simply the visually impaired but hope that readers will
understand that I simply use this as an example and in no way mean to
disregard the issues that others experience when using the web and the need
to address accessibility for everyone, not just the visually impaired. It is
simply the area in which I have most experience and hence am hopefully able
to express more effectively.

.

  _____