RE: internet usage by people over 60

I think this is a delicate subject and has to be conveyed appropriately.
Often messages view from different perspectives can be viewed as opposing
or even "hijacking" an agenda.

I believe there is a spectrum (or continuim?) of needs and benefits.

At one end are those of us who MUST have, and have a RIGHT to have access
and accommodations, then there are those of us that NEED to have access
and accommodations,  and then there are those of us that benefit and
prefer to have access and accommodations.

We have experiences and example of addressing access and accommodations
from both ends of the spectrum.  Different motivators motivate all of us
differently.  From the physical world we have sidewalk curb cuts that came
from the civil rights movement by persons who used wheel chairs but the
curb cut solution ended up benefitting many other users such as baby
carriages, luggage with rollers, etc.  What motivated some of us then may
be different than what motivates some of us now.  From the telecom world
we now have camera facing smart phone and broad band capable of doing
video calls for everyone (that can afford it), but which can be utilized
by persons who communicate by video sign language.  The "journey" to
achieve either was not always smooth and pleasant depending on your
viewpoint.  Accessibility rights and advocacy seems to drive from one end,
while innovation and business (profits?) seem to drive from the other end.
 Solutions that are driven from advocacy that do not end up benefiting all
and do not prove sustainable will in the end be unsuccessful.  Solutions
driven from a pure business perspective that don't include the needs of
those that MUST be met will in the end not be sustainable or as successful
either.

I believe our goal is to be aware of both approaches and hopefully know
where we are in the spectrum so that we can all leverage our collective
approaches to benefit all sooner.

Regards,
Phill Jenkins,
IBM Research - Human Ability & Accessibility Center
http://www.ibm.com/able

http://www.facebook.com/IBMAccessibility

http://twitter.com/IBMAccess