RE: internet usage by people over 60

Apologies to anyone who might have been offended by the title of my paper.

I am over the age of 60, and I am doing the research with another "oldie"
who is now retired after working in IT most of his life. We now spend a fair
bit of time working with other older/senior/mature/elderly people helping
them use the internet. I most certainly don't assume people over 60 don't
know how to use ICT, but also, just because we have been using computers and
the internet for several decades, I don't think we can assume everyone else
uses these technologies in the same way or even knows how to use them.  For
example, one of the issues we have been exploring in our more recent
interviews is the question of whether or not a person knows how to increase
the size of text on web pages, and most of the respondents don't appear to
know how to do this. In an earlier post I wrote about how one of the
interviewees prints out a web page and then enlarges it on a photocopy when
faced with text on a site which he has to read, but which is too small for
him. Several other respondents when faced with the same problem have told me
that they copy and paste the text into a Word document and then enlarge it.

Roger

  _____