Re: on headings, labels, links, and image maps

Hi

1) Headings - yes you are correct, level A requires coded headings so
that blind users can get an overview of teh page and jump to sections of
interest by listing the headings. Level AA requires these headings to be
nested correctly (ie form a logical semantic structure)

2) Links using URI, Yes again you are correct, the URI does not tell a
normal user what will happen if he or she selects the link. Surrounding
text is not useful as people using assistive software (esp screen
readers) list the links separately (ie out of context). The link text
must be absolutely clear by itself as to what will happen if selected.

3) Ah - the title attribute!! This attribute should only be used when
all other attempts at making the link intelligible by itself fail, in
which case it is relevant/helpful to all users, not just screen reader
users. Therefore it must be universally accessible. The problem has
arisen because some designers thought they were being clever by adding
the attribute to their links in the belief that this then meant they
could write rubbish link text. Trouble is that screen reader users get a
bit annoyed if every link read out has two messages (link text and title
text). I sometimes use Jaws 10 at work and have turned off the facility
to read the title attribute because I find it so annoying.

4) Label positioning,  There are two separate problems being solved
here. The location of the descriptive text for the input field needs to
be visually close to the input field because people with some vision
using a magnifying application (eg Zoom text) need to be able to see
this text (field label) as well as the actual input field. This is thus
a visual thing - whereas the second point (explicit association) is a
code thing. Now that most assistive software understands the <label
for="xx"> element it is possible to place the code for the label
anywhere in the document. Where this comes into play particularly is if
you want to place the field label above or below the input field. You
might have two or three input fields across the page. In the old days
the only way to do this was to use a table for layout with each field
label and input field in the same cell. Now you can have it coded anyway
you want so long as each field label is tied correctly to the relevant
input element, even
fieldlabel1, fieldlabel2 fieldlabel3 </br>input1, input 2, input3
So in answer to your question visual proximity is required but not code
proximity (so long as the <label> element is used correctly.

5) Image maps. Textual interpretation for the map area is essential.
This can be as a title that works for keyboard and mouse users so that
when the map area is focused (by whatever means) a suitable text (link
text) is displayed. If this is not possible then provide a separate list
beside the map.

Best wishes
Richard