RE: HTML5: Techniques for providing useful text alternatives

Steven, this document will be very useful to developers.  One user group
that I feel should be added under "Examples of scenarios where users
benefit from text alternatives for images" are users with visual
impairments who do not use screen readers or assistive technology.  This
includes users with color deficiencies and users with low vision.

This is important because many users with low vision may be able to read
the text and interpret most images but may need alternative text for
certain images.  When alt text is only displayed with the alt attribute,
users of some browsers and keyboard only users in this category will not
have access to this text.

In addition, related to example 4.1, using the alt attribute alone would
IMHO not be sufficient for WCAG 2 compliance because the alternative for
those who cannot distinguish colors is provided through the alt attribute.
If a person with color deficiencies with normal acuity were viewing this
image with a browser such as Firefox they would not have access to the
alternative text.

My recommendation in this latter example is to require that any meaning
conveyed in the image via color is in additionally displayed without the
use of color directly in the image (hatching, lines, etc.) or as text
visible on-screen.  The alt attribute does not suffice in these
situations.  I think this note would be a great addition to the document
that you are authoring.

Jonathan