Re: Text links 2.4.4 with PDF's (Sample document) (and one link or multiple links to the destination)

May I protest about the posting of private emails to this group that
were never addressed to it.

If a member sends another member an email intended to help them, it is
deliberately not sent to the entire group.
How can someone quote another person's email in a critical fashion to a
group the author did not intend to receive it.
We have privacy laws in Australia, does that apply here, or can I send
to the whole group any email any member has sent me?

Tim

On 08/08/2009, at 2:20 PM, Chris Reeve wrote:

> Jonathan, last week I got a different response that it is my
> responsibility and linking to the HTML page that contains PDF's is not
> valid. Linking to the PDF's is a must.  This is my link type
>
> 1. Directly to the PDF's, (some destination sites already met 2.4.4 by
> specifying file size and file type on their server). I was advised
> their accessibillity critieria does not matter. I still need to meet
> 2.4.4.
> 2. "Trying" to link to their html/text version (if available) to avoid
> the issue
> 3. Linking to a page when the site revised a document and split
> one PDF into two or more PDF's.
>
> If #1 is applicable, what should I do?
>
> If # 2 is applicable, what should I do?
>
> If # 3 is applicable what should I do?
>
> Also, can I avoid specification of file size and type (as suggested in
> G189) and use the alt tag (specified in H30)?

>>> author. but the ... logo or the file format extension (PDF, DOC, PPT
>>> etc.) should be adequate
>>>
>>> I agree it is used often in the guidelines, but it is not implying
>>> that file type is required.  It is implying that when you have 3
>>> similar links  together that go to different places, a sufficient
>>> (but not required) way to do it is with the 3 icons or additional
>>> file type in the link text.  Maybe we need more or better
>>> techniques.  But we still give the developer/author some flexibility
>>> and the standards writers some future capability to share new and
>>> improved examples.  Wouldn't it be "easier and more accessible" for
>>> me to set a setting in my browser or AT to always give me my
>>> preferred format when there is a choice? DO I want the CSS version
>>> for printing or the PDF version for printing?  maybe I don't need to
>>> even be confused with the choice if it really doesn't matter.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Phill Jenkins

The Editor
Heretic Press