Re: accessibility supported questions

On Mar 31, 2009, at 8:57 AM, Accessys@smart.net wrote:

> the key part of at least USA law is that it cannot be considered
> accessible or compliant if it requires a person with a disability to
> have a specific piece of equipment or software that is not required of
> everyone or is not provided free to everyone who needs it.

I'm not sure this is correct.

A cell phone is considered conforming to US access laws if (among
other things) it works with hearing aids  - but hearing aids are not
provided to everyone for free.

This is a huge problem though (access that requires software that
everyone cannot afford).  We are launching an effort to address
this.   More in a bit.

Gregg
Gregg Vanderheiden Ph.D.
Director Trace R&D Center