RE: Section 508 and websites

w3c-wai-ig-request@w3.org wrote on 03/20/2009 08:57:50 AM:

> I understand your question twofold:
>
> 1.) Why do I need to go through the pain and make my site 508 compliant?
> 2.) Is an accessible site, i.e. Section 508 compliant, usable?
>
> Ad 1) Because it's the law (for federal developments). It's like
> traffic laws - one has to obey them. It's a pain to learn them and
> it's even more painful to follow them, but in the end it allows all
> of us regardless of our heritage, upbringing, language etc. to
> safely drive together on the same streets.

It's significant to point out that 508 law is unlike traffic law in that
violations result in next-to-no penalities. Consequently, one complies
with 508 usually due to a sense of ethics, or values, which as you know is
an obligation that is a bit of hit-and-miss with drivers in traffic.

Bill Williams