Re: ARIA Coding

Ryan Jean wrote:

> I’m sorry everybody, but I am a visual learner. I am looking for a demo
> or tutorial on all the coding for ARIA. I like to see every tag, option,
> what each one does, an example of each, and a visual of each result.

I haven't had time to research ARIA properly, and, as an employee would
probably only use it indirectly, if MS Reporting Services were ever to
use it, however, my understanding is that ARIA is not a WYSIWYG
technology, so a visual demonstration would be useless, except for a
specific piece of assistive technology.

As I understand it, the purpose is to allow designers to produce any
visual effect they like, on a normal browser, without worrying about the
deep semantics of elements, whilst telling assistive technology what
control would have been used in a very straightforward semantic markup.
  E.g., if as commonly done, links are used with button semantics, the
ARIA would tell the assistive technology that what is visually a link is
really a button.

I think it goes further, in that it allows the identification of
semantic elements, like side menus, that have never existed as HTML
elements.

As I said, I haven't really researched this, so may have got completely
the wrong end of the stick.
--
David Woolley