Re: wcag2 adoption

At 01:44 14/06/2009, Roger Hudson wrote:
>Hi
>
>I am interested in finding out which countries or other regulatory
>authorities have adopted or endorsed WCAG 2 as the bench mark for
>web accessibility. Failing this has anyone any idea of how many
>entities have adopted WCAG 2.

In the Netherlands, the Web Guidelines quality model
<http://www.webrichtlijnen.nl/english/> is being updated to WCAG 2.0.
(See the presentation at EAFRA on 27 March 2009:
<http://www.slideshare.net/Zeddammer/presentation-on-web-accessibility-in-nl-eafra-frankfurt-27-march-2009-1233160>.)
These guidelines are wider than just accessibility for people with
disabilities.
They are not enforced by law but support a ministerial decision:
<http://www.webrichtlijnen.nl/english/decision/>.

However, the European Union favours harmonisation. On 23 March 2009,
the European Commission organised an "Expert meeting on web
accessibility in Europe and the implementation of Web Content
Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) 2.0".
The report is available at
<http://ec.europa.eu/information_society/newsroom/cf/itemdetail.cfm?item_id=4905>.
One of the activities mentioned in that report is Mandate M/376,
which the European Commission gave to the European standardisation
organisations (CEN, CENELEC and ETSI) with the goal to create a
European standard on accessibility requirements for public
procurement of products and services in the ICT domain. (See for
example
<http://www.ictsb.org/Working_Groups/DATSCG/DATSCG_M376_started.htm>.)
I don't know what impact WCAG 2.0 will have on that, but the reports
from phase 1 of this mandate took WCAG 2.0 into account.

Best regards,

Christophe

--
Christophe Strobbe