From: w3c-wai-ig-request@w3.org [mailto:w3c-wai-ig-request@w3.org] On Behalf
Of Ginger Claassen
Sent: Monday, 6 April 2009 7:13 PM
To: Christophe Strobbe
Cc: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
Subject: Silverleight Accessibility

Hello everybody,

I have a question regarding silverlight - I know it might be a bit off
topic in this list but maybe someone can send me a pm with some helpful
information. We have a student here who wants to work on the redesign of
our website an he is supposed to use MS Silverlight for some parts of it
and we want to make it, of course, accessible for people with visual
impairments especially blind ones thus I myself can use the website.
Does anyone know a good source, online, book or whatever where to find
insturctions or ideas how to make Silverlight accessible?
So far we did not succeed in finding any useful stuff.

I appriciate every help as little as it might be!

Thanks in advance for your support!

Kind regards

Ginger

Christophe Strobbe wrote:

> At 20:50 1/04/2009, Matt Morgan-May wrote:
>> On 4/1/09 11:25 AM, "Christophe Strobbe"
>> <christophe.strobbe@esat.kuleuven.be> wrote:
>> > For example, a Maltese user who does not know any foreign languages
>> can only
>> > access content in Maltese and use software that is localised for
>> Maltese.
>> > If there is no accessible user agent (including plugins) that is
>> > supported by AT that is available in Maltese (assuming that there are
>> > user agents available in Maltese), than Maltese policy makers would
>> better
>> > not include that technology in their list of accessibility-supported
>> > technologies (if they were making one).
>>
>> I think Malta has one bigger obstacle...
>>
>> > (...)
>>
>> Unless I'm mistaken, there is no screen reader that supports Maltese. I
>> think the same is true for Irish, though a cursory look shows there's
>> been
>> work on a Gaelic TTS engine. Still, until that work is done, any
>> movement in
>> accessible technology (that is, not just web accessibility) in those
>> languages is blocked by the absence of suitable screen reader
>> technology.
>
> Absence of essential types of AT is a big obstacle.
> With regard to WCAG 2.0 conformance, one can only fall back on a
> "Statement of Partial Conformance - Language":
> <http://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG20/#conformance-partial-lang>.
> (This type of statement was added during the Candidate Recommendation
> phase,
> during which the WCAG WG received implementations in various languages
> and
> scripts, including Japanese and Chinese.)
>
> Best regards,
>
> Christophe
>

>> -

Ginger B. Claassen