Re: comparing WCAG 1.0 and WCAG 2.0

Hi Roger,

At 06:18 2/06/2008, Roger Hudson wrote:
>Hi
>
>I have prepared a document which I hope will help people who are
>familiar with WCAG 1.0 to transfer the current knowledge and
>practices across to WCAG 2.0. For example in WCAG 1.0, Checkpoint
>3.5 requires header elements to be used correctly. Where is the
>similar requirement in WCAG 2.0? Answer; Success Criteria 1.3.1
>(Info and relationships), Technique H42: "Using h1-h6 to identify
>headings" (and there is a link to the technique page).
>
>Comparing WCAG 1.0 and 2.0 is at http://wipa.org.au/papers/wcag-migration.htm
>
>This document is very much a work-in-progress and all suggestions
>for how it might be improved will be appreciated.

Thanks for this.
I hope you are aware that the EO WG is also working on information
about transitioning to WCAG 2.0;
see:
* [DRAFT] How to Transition Your Web Site from WCAG 1.0 to WCAG 2.0:
   <http://www.w3.org/WAI/EO/Drafts/transition1to2/transition1to2> and
* [DRAFT] Mapping WCAG 1.0 Checkpoints to WCAG 2.0:
   <http://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/2007/06/05-mapping-draft.html>
   (this was an appendix in some previous drafts of WCAG 2.0).

What both WAI's mapping and your table have in common, is that WCAG
1.0 is the first column, and WCAG 2.0 the second: the idea is to
check what WCAG 2.0 success criteria (at any level) are already
covered when a site meets WCAG 1.0 (at level X).
I wonder if this shouldn't be reversed. If a web developer wants to
transition to WCAG 2.0, he/she may want to see e.g. all WCAG 2.0
Level A requirements (his new goal) and then find the "gaps" in his
current implementation by checking which of these requirements are
not already covered by implementing WCAG 1.0. That should make it
relatively easy to find out what additional work is still needed.

Does that make sense?

As Patrick Lauke pointed out, the current set of techniques is not
exhaustive. The WCAG WG is still adding more techniques. In fact, the
Techniques and Failures document is not on Recommendation track in
order to facilitate updates after WCAG 2.0 becomes a recommendation.

Best regards,

Christophe

--
Christophe Strobbe