Re: HTML 4.01 MAP element prevents links from displaying using a screen reader

On Wed, Apr 30, 2008 at 11:45 PM, Sandra Vassallo
<S.Vassallo@e-bility.com> wrote:

>  Hi,
>
>  I recently come across a problem in Firefox with screen readers (Jaws and
> Window Eyes) when using the HTML 4.01 MAP element to group links, and
> thought it would be of interest to others on the list who may be using it as
> well. It also affects Braillenote's Keyweb.
>
>  The technique is suggested in WCAG 1.0 and the recent WCAG 2.0 Candidate
> Recommendation.
>
>  www.w3.org/TR/WCAG10-HTML-TECHS/#group-bypass
>
>  www.w3.org/TR/2004/WD-WCAG20-HTML-TECHS-20041119/#linkgroups

[cutting out the rest of the message]

For what it's worth, that's a much older version of WCAG 2,0.  The
current recommendation for the same task is at
http://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG20-HTML-TECHS/H50.html.

Just my personal thought and unrelated to the accessibility issue -
Example 1 makes use of p tags inside list items, which seems to be
redundant.  I think marking the items as a  list, ordered or
unordered, would be the most semantic way.  I've only seen image maps
used when the content is purely an image, not text mixed with images.
But again, just my two cents.  My group at work can argue for several
hours over when you can use a list and when you can use a paragraph
tag.  :)