Re: Query - Street level maps for JAWS users in UK

Scott Plumlee wrote:

> I believe Derek Featherstone (boxofchocolates.ca) gave a presentation
> about making Google maps accessible at AEA Chicago last year

Just to clarify, as Derek and I somehow happened to work on similar
things concurrently and exchange notes last year...this presentation was
about making Google maps *keyboard accessible* to sighted users. Making
actual graphical maps accessible to blind users is a whole different
ballgame, and some (including myself) might argue that it's not
technically feasible - even if you make something like Google maps
perfectly technically accessible, the interface and data paradigms
themselves may not be suitable to blind users.

This is one of those situations where a completely separate approach
targeting the specific needs of users with a particular disability may
actually be useful. Key would be to get opinions and recommendations
from actual users on what type of information and service would work
best for them.

Patrick H. Lauke
http://redux.deviantart.com
http://webstandards.org/