Wheeling in SL video (text transcript)

Thanks for sharing this. I think it's excellent. However, my
colleagues who are not native English speakers had trouble
understanding the speech (as would deaf people), so I did a quick text
transcript which I share here. It's too long to go in a comment on
YouTube. Pity they don't allow for transcripts.

[Caption: Wheeling in Second Life]
Judith: I work during the day, so when I come home I've only got like
a couple of hours. So by the time I do my own emails and
correspondence that comes in during the day I might have forty-five
minutes or an hour to do whatever, so
Russ: And what's your current really big thing on the Web that you're into?
Judith: Second Life. I've got a wheelchair in Second Life. You can
choose whether you want to be in a wheelchair or not.You can have
crutches, you can have whatever disability you have in real life in
Second Life.
Russ: Do you always stay in your wheelchair in second life?
Judith: No, no, no.
Russ: Are there many other people in wheelchairs in Second Life?
Judith: Simon Walsh.
Russ: From the UK?
Judith: Yes. And he always stays in his wheelchair. Just like in real
life, I find the attitude of people in Second Life is disappointing. I
have run an experiment myself. I've gone to this [?] website and this
able bodied person got out on the dance floor and danced with
different avatars and different people for half an hour or whatever
you call them. Then I've gone away, put myself in my wheelchair, gone
back, the same people were there and they didn't want to know me.
Russ: Are there special places in Second Life where people in
wheelchairs hang out.
Judith: Yes, "Wheelies".
Russ: And what's Wheelies.
Judith: That's a nightclub specially built people, by a man who has
cerebral palsy, in the UK.
Russ: Can you take us to it?
Judith: yes.
[Wheelies was started by Simon]
Judith: Unfortunately like real life you've got to go around things
because you can't go through them. You can fly over them. Oh, there's
Simon!.
Russ: He's in there is he?
Judith: Yes. He was there before, in there [...]
[Caption: How many people visit "Wheelies"?]
[On-screen dialog: (asking how many people visit Wheelies each week)
"Wheelie or norm?" Few 100 I guess.]
Judith: When I first started we got a couple of hundred.
[Caption: Going up to the dance floor.]
Judith: Is that Simon up there? The avatar... [looking to other
screen] that's him in real
life.
Russ: And he was on big brother?
Judith: Yes, in the UK. [turning towards dance floor] And that's the
DJ, that girl in there, green, and she [plays?...] the DJ there. And
she talks to you over that thing in there.
Russ: Oh, right?
Judith: And [she's] talking to me.
Russ: do you think that this will be a really useful tool for people
who are unable to get around, who have problems of mobility in real
life?
Judith: Yes, because you can have friends without having to go out and
physically find them.

best regards,

Alan Chuter
Technosite (Fundosa Group),