Re: Race and gender issues

Ben Weedon wrote:

>Hello everyone, I was wondering if anyone knew of regulations
>concerning web design and
>gender or race? Is there any formal documentation surrounding this, or is it
>simply covered by the non-web based legislation in each website provider's
>country?

In terms of REGULATIONS, for ths US, I think it's generally covered
by regulations on using non-discriminatory language (Web and
non-Web). But there aren't any additional "accomodations" you would
need to make like you would for a Spanish speaking user (in the US)
or for a visually impaired user.

Everything else depends on the context and target audience.

There may be cases where you want to use images of people from
different socioeconomic backgrounds or mix references to different
races/genders to show your service is welcome to all.  Many federal
government service Web sites are designed for inclusiveness.

Or you may want a gender/race neutral design like Google which is
meant to be used by anyone regardless of their background (although
their changing logos are an interesting reference to an international
audience...but that's another story)

Or you may really be targeting a specific audience and want to tilt
your site in that direction (e.g. a Web site for BET TV or Lifetime
TV or Spike TV). In that case, your best bet would be to research
design preferences for different cultures.

Just my two cents.

Elizabeth

--
Elizabeth J. Pyatt, Ph.D.