RE: Slightly Off topic - Dublin core value

Andy Mabbett wrote:
> In message <00ce01c744c4$284cd070$7c8240ab@Piglet>, John Foliot
> <foliot@wats.ca> writes
>
> [of "DC.format"]
>
>> it depends on the DTD (go figure): "text/html" for HTML 4.01, and
>> "application/xhtml-xml" for XHTML 1.0.
>
> That's actually a very significant difference. There are many web
> pages devoted to discussion of the problems of serving XHTML as
> "text/html" and of the issues of serving it as
> "application/xhtml-xml" to Internet Explorer, which is broken in its
> handling of such, It's worth reading and understand them, especially
> before you try to use XHTML.

Andy,

Yes, I am aware of the "issues" with serving up application/xhtml-xml vs.
text/html (isn't this more to do with HTTP headers and server-settings
though?) I am curious how this would affect/impact on metadata declarations
such as Dublin Core (DC.format).

Perhaps if it were http-equiv(?), but a simple DC.format?  Do browsers
actually use this data like that?  I would have  thought that the "purpose"
of the DC declaration was mostly for indexing purposes, but I am but a
grasshopper...

Thoughts?

JF