Re: Accessibility tests of Australian University homepages

Select one of seven stylesheets
http://www.hereticpress.com/Dogstar/Publishing/WriteWWW.html#SelectCSS

You have tested it have you, I admit the hompage is ordinary, every
other page is not.
What stylesheet did you select for what form of colour blindness?

Tim

On 09/05/2007, at 7:34 PM, Andy Laws wrote:

> I am sorry but how can any one with a site such as
> http://www.hereticpress.com advise any body on web accessibility, this
> is the most inaccessible site I have ever come across. Yes it meets
> all the w3c standards, but it accessible? No. it is estimated that in
> the UK that up to 10% of the adult population suffers from some form
> of cognitive disability and with a population of 52milion that amounts
> to some 520,000 users in the UK alone, are excluded from using your
> site. Due to your choice and use of color, I have tested your site
> through
>

> On 5/9/07, Christopher Hoffman <christopher.a.hoffman@gmail.com >
> wrote:
>>
>> On 5/8/07, Tim < dogstar27@optushome.com.au> wrote:
>>
>> > This is my first post, but I am a bit of an accessibility vetran, a
>> > political activist even at testing government and educational
>> websites
>> > for accessibility and then displaying the results for the public to
>> > see. Any critical comments on my work are most welcome.
>>
>> Umm.... it looks like for US$895 you will run a Web page through W3C
>> and CynthiaSays.com validators
>> (
>> http://www.hereticpress.com/Dogstar/Publishing/
>> Rates.html#accessreports).
>>
>> > ...some universities have supported my work, others refuse to
>> > acknowledge me and claim I am being aggressive in these reviews. Is
>> > there a better way to go about promoting accessibility?
>>
>> Well, there are things like working to promote Web standards and
>> accessibility through groups like the W3C and WASP, as well as giving
>> site owners good reasons to spend the time and resources to make their
>> sites more accessible. The arguments don't even have to be directly
>> related to accessibility. For example, standards-based sites are
>> generally easier and less costly to update and maintain, with better
>> accessibility as a side effect.
>>
>> > Through this page in the last two weeks, I have managed to get
>> > three Universities to improve their homepages for W3C validity, but
>> not
>> > much movement yet on accessibility.
>>
>> As I said above, giving me, as a site owner, good reasons to invest in
>> an accessible Web site would probably go a lot further toward
>> convincing me to "move on accessibility" than listing tags, attributes
>> and features that my site is missing or deficient in.
>>
>> > 64% of Australian Universities passed Priority One WCAG 1.0
>> > accessibility tests.
>> > 11% of Australian Universities passed Priority Three WCAG 1.0
>> Checlists
>>
>> That's really depressing, but it's just another instance of something
>> that everybody on this list already knows: that the vast majority of
>> Web sites out there are severely lacking when it comes to
>> accessibility. Tests and checklists are great tools for designers and
>> developers, but they aren't going to persuade site owners.
>>
>> Best,

> [...]
The Editor
Heretic Press
http://www.hereticpress.com