Re: Display: none

Why do you find it necessary to make text into a graphic?  If people
attempt to magnify the web page or change the color scheme, it won't scale.

And although I use Window-Eyes instead of JAWS, I think I remember
discussion on this list that indicated that JAWS would not present content
if it was not declared to be visible.

At 12:58 PM 3/14/2006, you wrote:
>Hello,
>
>I was just wondering what peoples thoughts were on the use of the css
>property "display: none" to provide content to screen readers that's
>hidden from visual browsers.
>
>The context that I was planning to use this, was to hide h1 text titles
>from visual browsers by using the display: none property to hide them and
>replacing them with graphical titles displayed using the css background
>property.
>
>So for example;
>
>HTML
>
><h1><span class="hidethis">This is my title</span></h1>
>
>CSS
>
>h1 {
>     background: url("images/this_is_my_title.gif");
>     width: 150px;
>     height: 20px;
>}
>
>.hidethis {
>     display: none;
>}
>
>My belief is that this would render the graphical image of the title in
>visual browsers like Internet Explorer etc. and the text h1 title in
>screen readers and browsers with CSS turned off. I'm I correct in making
>this assumption? What are people's opinion on this methodology?
>
>Many thanks in advance of any help anyone can offer,
>
>Mike
>
>Kind regards.
>
>--
>
>Mike Costello
>Senior Developer
>
>Latest News: The Royal Armouries appoints HMA.
><http://www.hma.co.uk/latest.asp#84>More....
>
>HMA Designed Solutions
>The Coach House
>51 Sackville Street
>Barnsley
>South Yorkshire
>S70 2BZ
>
>t: 01226 209 450
>f: 01226 209 451
>e: <mailto:mike@hma.co.uk>mike@hma.co.uk
>w: <http://www.hma.co.uk/>www.hma.co.uk

... Creating implements of mass instruction.
Lloyd Rasmussen, Senior Staff Engineer
National Library Service for the Blind and Physically Handicapped
Library of Congress    (202) 707-0535   <http://www.loc.gov/nls>
HOME:  <http://lras.home.sprynet.com>
The opinions expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent
those of NLS.