From: w3c-wai-ig-request@w3.org [mailto:w3c-wai-ig-request@w3.org] On
Behalf Of Randal Rust
Sent: Monday, February 20, 2006 8:50 AM
To: WAI-IG
Subject: Proper ALT values for thumbnail images

I have a site that I am reviewing that uses photo galleries. Each
gallery is a collection of thumbnails which are linked to a full-size
image. Currently, the site has the ALT for each thumbnail read as "Link
to enlarged image."

It is my opinion that this would not be an accessible way to do this.
If I can't see the thumbnail, then I have no idea what the context of
this text is.

My initial thought is that the ALT should include the description of the
image, but then should it also say to click on the image to see the
larger version? Or is that inherent from the A which surrounds the IMG?
Could the TITLE for A indicate that it is a link to a larger image?

--
Randal Rust
R.Squared Communications