Re: <span> within a word any issue for screen readers?

Patrick H. Lauke wrote:

> Geoff Deering wrote:
>
>> What I don't know is that even if the screen reader didn't have a
>> problem with reading a word with an inline SPAN element, how it would
>> communicate via the screen reader the presence of the accesskey.
>

> Leaving aside the issue that accesskeys may not be the best idea (in
> their current implementation) in the first place, I'd strongly suggest
> that it cannot be the role of a SPAN inside an A (or other element
> that can receive focus and supports accesskey) to communicate the
> accesskey. This must remain an attribute of the relevant parent
> element (again, even if it's contested whether or not this
> implementation is fundamentally flawed in the first place).

Yes, I agree.  The accesskey is assigned to the A element, the SPAN is
just serving as a non structural element as a visual indicator that
there is an accesskey assigned to that link.  It's following the GUI
standards of assigning accelerator keys to menuing functions.

Geoff Deering