Re: WAI compliant CMS

redazione nonsolocms wrote:

> Hello Bruce,
>   let me briefly answer your question...
>
>     I've got a "shortlist" of CMSs to look at for accessibility:
>
>     * Drupal
>

> Ok for small and medium content websites (not really good for
> commercial sites)
> It is simple to reach an high level of accessibility with some PHP hacking
>
>     * Joomla!
>

> (aka Mambo) One of the most famous CMSs around. A lot of modules and
> plug-in available. Not ok for accessible websites (it uses tables in
> the core,
> no accesskeys, backstage GUI fully not accessible) you need heavy
> hacking for that
>
>     * eZ Publish
>

> Ok for accessibility: templates can be developed in minutes. But it's a
> really "heavy" and cpu-consuming CMS... even with turck-mm-cache (a php
> optimizer) you still experience slow pages
>
>     * SPIP
>

> isn't it a template engine?
>

>     * TYPO3
>

> really flat learning curve: it uses TypoScript for internal
> programming and extension
> of functionalities, and it's not simple to learn. People who have a
> good knowledge of
> this CMS say that you can do almost everything with it; it's like
> Plone, but written
> in PHP
>
>     * WordPress
>

> this is not really a CMS, but a blog manager... do you need a blog?
>
>     * Xaraya
>

> poor backstage interface, not so powerful. Accessibility? You need to
> build your own template and hack some "core" functions to get a Level
> 1 (P1)
> accessible website
>
>     Do you have any experience of these, especially in terms of
>     creating WAI compliant templates for them?
>

> My experience with these CMS is due to our work at nonsolocms.it
> <http://nonsolocms.it> (it means
> "not only CMSs" eh eh) and because of some production installations we
> made
> for some clients! They asked us to test a bunch of products, included
> the ones
> you asked here above.
>
> Have a nice day,
> lorenzo.

I'd agree with all these observations (just seconding it), but slightly
different on Typo3.  It's a flat learning curve if you want to deliver
tagged soup (invalid markup), but for valid accessible markup you need
to get into the core of it to customise it, you have to get your head
under the hood a bit.  For one quick job, this may not be worth it, but
I have heard Typo3 really pays off in very rapid development time for
new sites once you have put in this initial work.

Maybe it's a flat learning curve for Lorenzo:-)

Geoff Deering