Re: Inline link icons

On 7/21/05, Patrick Lauke <P.H.Lauke@salford.ac.uk> wrote:

> > Lois Wakeman
>
> > *There may be a good reason in your case of course, but I
> > don't know what it
> > is.
>
> If it's anything like the situations in which I've been asked to do
> this sort of thing, I'll hazard a guess and say that the reason
> lies with the default settings in Acrobat and MS Office to open
> documents straight in the browser. People are used to closing the
> PDF/Doc/etc once they've read it, not realising that the back
> button would take them back to the site - and thus they lose their
> place.
>
> Of course, part of me would argue that it's the user's responsibility
> to set up their system so that it doesn't do that sort of thing if
> it's confusing to them...but on the other hand, I can see the point
> of those trying to counter the potential problem by forcing a new
> window to open.

I believe it's up to the IT department of the company to setup the
machines how they should be setup. That's not to say that opening in a
new window is the right behavior (that's for usability studies to
determine). But given the difficulty in changing the default behavior,
it should be up to the more technical body to do so.

Then OS and software manufacturers should fix their software.

Orion Adrian

--

Orion Adrian