Re: Braille style sheets

On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 23:50:10 +1000, Alastair Campbell <ac@nomensa.com>
wrote:

> Charles McCathieNevile wrote:
>> Does anyone on this list use the "embossed" media in CSS to produce
>> style  sheets for braille?
>
> Hi Charles,
>
> Do you know if any user agents support that media type? (Or 'braille'
> which might be the obvious choice from the CSS 2.1 spec).

I don't know. I would guess that Gnopernicus is worth looking into -
apparently the commercially available offerings are still struggling to
handle HTML.

> Knocking up a quick test page:
> http://alastairc.ac/media_type_test.html

Thanks for doing that, by the way. Test cases are always great things :-)

> Moz & IE6 show only all & screen on viewing, and only the all/print
> types when print previewing (correctly I assume).
>
> However, JAWs only reads the all/screen types, not the speech type.
> Technically incorrect, but perhaps practical? (Results from other screen
> readers would be useful.)

Screen reader developers claim that they are not presenting a speech-based
system, but a speech-output version of a visual system, so are doing the
right thing. I think the lines are not so clear really, but there you go.

> Do the braille readers understand their media type? I don't have access
> to one, but since most use something like JAWs as an intermediary
> anyway, I would guess probably not... as there aren't many sites that
> use them, it is something of a chicken & egg situation.

Yep...

cheers

Chaals

--
Charles McCathieNevile                      Fundacion Sidar
charles@sidar.org   +61 409 134 136    http://www.sidar.org