Re: Serving XHTML as XML

Hi Gez,

As far as I can test, juicystudio.com is also using
application/xhtml+xml for the browsers understanding it.

The main difference between your and my solution is, that you use HTML
and mime-type text/html to other browsers; I use xhtml and text/html.
I'm just doing what W3C is doing at their website, but HTML and
text/html is also nice.

It is true that "The HTML 4.01 specification hasn't been deprecated". As
far as I know deprecated is only used for features in a spec. But if we
go to W3C's "HyperText Markup Language (HTML) Home Page",
http://www.w3.org/MarkUp/ and shop around a little, it is not difficult
to notice the vision, the spirit and intentions of W3C.

1. How to convert HTML to XHTML is all over the place at W3C.

2. The scope of the charter,
http://www.w3.org/2002/05/html/charter#scope says: "The main scope of
this charter is to complete the transition from HTML to XHTML".

3. In "What is XHTML", http://www.w3.org/MarkUp/#whatis-xhtml, it says:
"XHTML is the successor of HTML".

4. Most web pages at W3C or at least all or most of the new ones use
XHTML 1.0 still served as text/html just like I do for IE and for some
other browsers not understanding application/xhtml+xml yet.

If we are to believe W3C, it is not wrong to say that XHTML has
"replaced" HTML or even that HTML is "deprecated", when the words are
used as every day language.

Best regards,
Jesper Tverskov