From: Access Systems [mailto:accessys@smart.net]
Sent: Thursday, February 17, 2005 12:42 PM
To: Jim Thatcher
Cc: 'James Craig'; 'wai-ig list'; 'William R Williams'
Subject: RE: looking for an accessible data table:

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005, Jim Thatcher wrote:

> This (http://tinyurl.com/3tx3q) is a wonderful example of a complex table
> and it is remarkably well coded - as far as JAWS is concerned.

but this is rendered horribly in LYNX using emacspeak.

it is title, then long lines of numbers with no rationale form or pattern
that can be decerned

> Other than that omission, JAWS reads this table perfectly. That amazes me;
> have assumed up until now, that that you should use TH (with/without
scope)
> OR use headers/id markup, but not both. This uses both and it works well -
> for JAWS.

there are other screen readers than JAWS and there are other operating
systems besides M$

> Even though JAWS reads the row headings automatically (because they are in
> column 1), I think this sample table should have TH, scope=row, on all the

in LYNX there are no rows or columns just a mess of raw datum

> > Access Systems wrote:
> >> no and it is because (at least in Linux/LYNX)...
> >
> > haven't looked too hard at that page's markup, but assuming that it is
> > correct (properly defined headings, scope, etc), is the problem you're
> > describing not one of the user agent (in this case lynx) rather than
> > the page author?
>
> I think you've nailed it Patrick; that's why I asked what user agent
> Bob was using when he experienced the problem. Now that we know it's
> Lynx, I'm not surprised he had trouble with a data table.

but LYNX is a popular TEXT web browser and it is current not obsolete
tech.

> To follow on the 'correct markup' comment, he uses a technique I
> haven't seen before. Scope is used appropriately for most of the cells,
> and headers/ID is added on a few of the cells. I've only used these
> techniques independently (either all scope, or all headers/ID) but not
> both combined. I'm on a Mac at home and haven't had a chance to test
> this at work yet, but I'd be curious to know if screen readers handled
> this technique consistently.

evidently not.

Bob

CONFIGURE YOUR E-MAIL TO SEND TEXT ONLY, see http://expita.com/nomime.html

safety deserve Neither liberty nor safety",    Benjamin Franklin
    NO HTML/PDF/RTF in e-mail                   accessys@smartnospam.net
*#