Re: Colours and Colour Blindness

Mike Brown wrote:
  > http://centricle.com/ref/css/filters/
>
> I understand that the "Y" is green and the "N" red, and that the
> difference is quite clear to most people. I'm red/green colour-blind and
> find it almost impossilbe to tell a difference - with a good 19" monitor
> in good light.
>
> This is the best example I've come across of a "genuine", as opposed to
> "test-case", page where the use of colour makes a huge difference to the
> usability of the page for me.

Maybe I'm going to split hairs here, but: yes, it makes a huge
difference in terms of usability, but no in terms of accessibility. The
information *is* provided in a format that you can use and understand
even if colours are completely disabled or the difference between them
is inperceptible. It does draw on a classic green=go, red=stop metaphor.
Now, if that table relied solely on colour, it would obviously be
another matter.

--
Patrick H. Lauke
http://redux.deviantart.com